Monday 22 October 2012

Typology: My interpretation

Following on from my last post on the subject, below are some of my ideas/interpretations of this style of photography. In class, we were given an hour to take 9 different versions of the same object. I did pens. The following study is called 9 Pens. Obviously, the idea was to shoot using the same camera settingss, distance from subject and composition. I used my Sigma 50-200, f4-f5.6 at f4 on Aperture Priority, meaning the shutter speed took care of itself. As far as lighting was concerned, I used my Metz AF50 flashgun on its TTL setting, which ensures consistent lighting of subjects by overriding all ambient light.




The nearly completely white background was achieved by increasing the highlights in Levels on Photoshop CS5. I also increased the blacks and contrast to give the pens more punch. This gave them the effect of being shot in the studio with all the correct lighting. They were all too grey straight from camera. Below is this very same pen straight from camera.

This is the original pen straight from camera. Interesting how 'just a picture of a pen' can become something with a lot more appeal once opened in Photoshop. Furthermore, I cropped each one to 10x10cm to intensify the effect further.












The next image few images are a further interpretation upon the whole theme of Topography. The simplicity of some of these urban scenes are influenced by the likes of Lewis Baltz, Robert Adams and Joe Deal.
































No comments:

Post a Comment