Tuesday 25 September 2012

JAspinallPhotography: a Brief History

I'm using this as an introduction to my new blog, in which I hope to showcase some of my favourite images from the past two years, along with new work and examples that emerges from the Level 3 Diploma in Photography that I have just started at The Manchester College.

Photography has excited me for many years, but it wasn't until starting- and subsequently completing- the Level One and Level Two courses that my understanding of this art-form expanded dramatically.

I like street photography, and photographing the built enviromnment. I am also gaining more of an interest in documentary, for I like the way subjects can be shot as a part of their everyday environment, adding a context and a narrative to the image. As an English graduate, I like stories, and hope to do with my images what- in a previous life- I did with words.

Photography for me is about the convergence of the Scientific, the Technical and the Aesthetic that occurs every time the shutter is pressed.

Below are some of my favourite images:



This image seems to have rendered all subsequent images as 'the difficult second album'. It will be difficult take a picture that will receive the same appreciate. Difficult, but not impossible.



Released from Strangeways earlier that day, this unusual character represents what I love about Street Photography and the people you're likely to meet.


I'm just showing off now! This- and the picture below- are two of my 'Hulme Collages', which I created  to celebrate having lived in the district for a year. I live in Denton now. Struggling to find inspiration to be honest! 


I prefer this to the above. If the above is the commercial view, this is perhaps a more inspired piece. I used approx 13 layers in CS5 to mix both images and the written word. During my time in Hulme, I collected roughly 80% of all my ASDA till receipts, so you may notice I have scanned a couple of these to create the piece. I have also incorporated the practice of creating in the collage itself by scanning some notes I made on Photoshop. I will be exhibiting these two and more at:


A popular cityscape shot of Salford Quays at dusk, taken from Trafford Bar bridge. This may well feature in my upcoming exhibition at Z-Arts (link above).



Humour... I shot a whole series of these. It epitomises the sense of 'theme'/grouping images in photography. I had such fun shooting this little fella. See the whole series here: https://www.facebook.com/jonaspinallphotography


This is one of my favourite images from the very first wedding I was paid to shoot.


And this is a personal fave from one of the two wedding's I have worked as Assistant Photographer


In terms of telling a story, I really like this image shot at Yorkshire Sculpture Park last year. The sense of togetherness runs alongside the uplifting words on the bench itself.

1 comment: