Friday 24 May 2013

Montage: Suck it and See

This is a continuation of the Early Stages & Planning post. In that post I discussed some of the key things to be mindful of before beginning a project like this, such as resolution, image quality ways of scanning and preparing an image for work inclusion in a piece. Here- as the title suggests- I will pretty much be "journalling" the things I put into practice as I go along and commenting what I feel works, what I feel doesn't, and how things can be improved. Here goes!
This is a little test to get me into it. As you can see, I have layered 3 other JPEG images over the original: the passport cover that I have fitted onto my mother's skirt, reducing the opacity and erasing the excess; the "United Kingdom" part of my passport onto my fathers arm, and a baby picture of myself layered onto his face. For all of these I have used a Curves layer with a Clipping Mask. This was especially important for the baby picture, for I wanted it to fully resemble the tones of the original picture. If there's something to take from this early effort, its that it reminds me of an old punk album cover (The Sex Pistols), and how the movement often relied upon the reappropriation of the past (more on this below).

Another simple manipulation here. I have merely boosted the colour with a Levels layer, then layered the crest from the front of the passport over my face, before adjusting this to the appropriate hue with a Curves layer with a Clipping Mask attached (RGB). Again this reminds me of the Sex Pistols' God Save the Queen cover.

Jamie Reid's album artwork made from paper cut outs in the style of a ransom note  (1)


In the next post I aim to start my montage proper, using a fresh canvas.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment